DESTROY ME (SHATTER ME #1.5) – TAHEREH MAFI

Juliette escaped The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and putting a bullet in his shoulder. But he isn't that easy to get rid of. . .
Recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of rebellion in the sector. His first priority is to find Juliette and bring her back. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear he has different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply can't allow.
Sometimes I wish I could step outside of myself for a while. I want to leave this worn body behind, but my chains are too many, my weights too heavy.

This certainly wasn’t what I’d expected from the novella-length read that had been basically thrust at me by a friend. Destroy Me is short and simple but provides the perfect amount of information to make a reader really question Warner, our main character’s, motives.

Set in the aftermath of Juliet’s escape from the Reestablishment with two of his soldiers, Destroy Me follows the life of Warner, the mysterious and merciless leader of Sector 45, as he works to bring back Juliet, keep his father from hurting people and bringing down all he has worked for all the while maintaining his strong, harsh reputation with his men. But everyone is working against him, Juliet refuses to be found, his father undermines him at every turn and he finds his men wishing he was dead.

I’ve always felt that there was something more to Warner, that he experienced a painful past and dreams of a better future. But it wasn’t until reading this book, falling into his mind, that I was able to discover who he really is, his thoughts and desires. This book allows readers to explore his character and left me wanting, more than ever, to get back into the series.

We learn that Warner isn’t as cold as he seems. We learn he is struggling to maintain what control and influence he has left over his men and that his aims aren’t all they appear to be. I saw a whole new side to this supposedly villainous character, his thoughts, desires and motives all rooting not for power, but for a better world. What broke my heart the most is that he is doing everything for the good of the people and yet they all see him as just a monster. And he can never tell them otherwise.

People seldom realize that they tell lies with their lips and truths with their eyes all the time.

Warner’s perspective is heart-breakingly sincere. I felt his pain and confusion, his longing for Juliet and his yearning for a change. All the responsibilities and problems that he shoulders seem so undeserved and it hurts to think that he has to face it on his own.

Destroy Me is a book that you can read in a single sitting, not at all long and an easy read. This book was amazing and I wouldn’t have complained if it went on forever. I can’t wait to sink into Unravel Me, all I want is more Warner. While a little cheesy and young at times, I’d recommend this book to just about anyone looking for a light, easy read.

Rating: 3/5


Get your hands on a copy of this book on Amazon or Book Depository.

Comments

Popular Posts