STONE COLD TOUCH (THE DARK ELEMENTS #2) – JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT

Every touch has its price...
Layla is trying to pick up the pieces of her life. Her best friend is forever off-limits. The Warden clan that has always protected her is keeping secrets. And she can barely think about Roth, the demon prince who understood her in ways no one else could.
But Layla’s powers begin to evolve, and she’s offered a taste of what has always been forbidden. With hell breaking loose and the body count adding up, the price for happiness may be higher than Layla is willing to pay…


Spoiler Warning!  This review may contain spoilers and while I do my best to avoid them, a few occasionally slip through.  If you notice something that you think I should take out, feel free to let me know.

The second book of the trilogy. Whew...  I really don’t know where to start.
The end of the first book broke our hearts with Roth sacrificing himself in an attempt to stop the rise of a species of demonic megalomaniacs known as the Lilin and Layla being left with only Bambi – both a comfort and a distressing reminder of Roth.

Struggling to keep her demon side under control and manage her grief over Roth’s loss, Layla turns to Zayne to get through the day and take her mind off, well... everything.  When Roth returns from hell to hunt down one very driven and destructive creature, the threat of the end of humanity (along with a series of oddly violent occurrences) turns those Layla thought of as family against her.  To sum it up simply:


I smelled like an Upper Level demon.  Roth was back and he was relatively unharmed. A Lilin had been born. Apparently an orgasm was apocalyptic.

While a little predictable, I still loved this book and all the emotions it made me feel.  It was a nice interlude from ‘Literary Theory’ and ‘Liberal Humanism.’  I am so glad that my friend forced me to read the series.

Throwing some cringe-worthy, some soul-crushing, some adorable and one or two downright hilarious scenes into the mix, this novel is the perfect blend of romance and paranormal, drama and action.  It can take you from moments like this:

"I've loved you since the first moment I heard your voice and I will continue to love you. No matter what. I love you."

to this:

"Don't make me sit here and watch you die. You don't do that to me."

This is a fabulous book and a must-read trilogy!  Due to some, slightly suggestive scenes, I’d suggest that readers hold off from this masterpiece until at least 15 – wouldn’t want you to be corrupted in any way...  Not a read for those who don’t like over-the-top romance, but if you are okay with a little bit of soppyness, then this is the perfect read!



Rating: 3/5


To purchase the second instalment of this awesome trilogy, order it online from Amazon here, or Book Depository here.

Comments

Popular Posts