IN THE AFTERLIGHT (THE DARKEST MINDS #3) – ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Fractured by unbearable loss, Ruby and the kids who survived the government's attack travel north. With them is Clancy Gray, son of the president, their prisoner. Only Ruby has power over him, and one slip could lead to Clancy wreaking havoc on their minds.
Reunited with Liam, Ruby must face the repercussions of having tampered with his memories of her. She turns to Cole to provide the training she needs. But Cole has demons of his own, and one fatal mistake may be the spark that sets the world on fire.

I feel like a broken record talking about this series but, I have to say, my HEART! I mean, how many times can Bracken crush and dismantle this blood-pumping organ of mine until I can’t put it back together or slow its incessant racing. Like my other reviews of the Darkest Minds trilogy have already made impossibly clear, I love the unique relatability I can feel with all the characters, I love the way the action never stops and I love the descriptions which transport me into that world.  I just love it all!

This final installment sees tension amid the group. Ruby is forced to face the consequences for tampering with Liam's memories of her and, though her adorable relationship with southern sweetie Liam develops, she fears that it won't ever be like it was before she left. This trilogy made me feel ridiculously happy and agonisingly dejected.  It made me laugh, it made me cry – I even did a bit of both at the same time. It made me feel more than anyone should ever feel about a set of made-up characters in a made-up story. I was giddy and struggling to breathe in parts and trying not to cry or scream in others.

Everyone needs reality to punch them in the face every once in a while. Keeps you on guard.

And obviously, the ending! While it would be wrong for me to tell you the details of how the series comes to a close (despite how much I want to) I can say that this ending is the perfect way to conclude the story of a band of mismatched teens with a crazy history.


If you read this series, and I strongly suggest you do, I just have a few words of caution: prepare yourself for heartbreak, it doesn't let up.

This is, without question, one of the greatest trilogies I have ever read and I recommend it to any and all readers. Invigorating, heartbreaking, alluring and beautiful. This book packs it all into one, seamlessly delivering action, romance and comedy.

The Darkest Minds Never Fade In the Afterlight...

Rating: 4.5/5


Please, please, PLEASE add a little joy into your life and pick up this book (and the entire trilogy) online from Amazon or Book Depository.

Comments

Popular Posts