DWELLING ON A COURT OF WINGS AND RUIN

My ever-changing perspective of A Court of Wings and Ruin, not a review, just some hopeless babble that I need to get out of my system before I drive myself insane.  Put simply, it is me asking about a million random questions that I fear will never be answered so, if persistent and annoying questions get on your nerves, you may not want to read this one...


Firstly I would like to put out there that I am merely expressing my opinion on how I think the book could be altered and that I, in no way, assume that I know better than the author but just wish to state my position as a reader.  I am not trying to express any form of discrimination and am in no way against the presence of diverse characters in novels nor do I feel like all books need a perfect ending, I just feel like something better could have been done with the ending of this one.  I should probably also slap a massive SPOILER WARNING on this one because I am talking about the ending.

I am in not saying that I didn’t like this book, the ACOTAR trilogy has completely changed the way I read books and has set the bar on what I consider to be a good book.  But, I have been thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know) and I feel a bit wronged by the ending of this trilogy.


I feel like the ending of this book, while being pretty dang awesome and emotionally distressing, didn’t wrap up the series as much as I had hoped it would.  Now, I am not say I expected the seamlessly wrapped gift box, complete with the big bow, but I think it would have been nice for it to be a bit more of a conclusion with a few less questions in need of answering, all of which focus on the relationships between the characters.


So, the obvious first (though not the most pressing) point of call would have to be Feyre and Rhys.  While there wasn’t really a better way to wrap up their story I think it would have been really nice to be able to look a bit more in to their future, see their recovery from the war and how their relationship was developed.  Their ending was sweet but it didn’t answer all the questions – especially since we have had the idea of a Feysand baby boy dangled in front of our noses for quite some time.  Perhaps it is just my inner romantics-crazed fangirl going off at me but I would have liked some mention of those two really blossoming as a couple.

Then, of course, there is Nesta and Cassian.  I think we can all agree that the sexual tension between those two from the start was palpable and their relationship has, without a doubt, improved.  I would even say that it is reasonable to assume that they are something more along the lines of mates.  There is so clearly some sort of feelings between those two but, does it go any further than that?  I was just waiting for the moment when Nesta storms over to Cassian, pulls him down and kisses him before walking off with a massive scowl on her face while Cassian stands there half in shock with a self-satisfied smirk on his face.  I just want to know what happens between them, I want Nesta to stop worrying about Elain for a minute and think about how she feels for Cassian.




Speaking of Elain, what about her relationship with Lucien?  Do they end up together or not?  I mean, it is made pretty clear that Elain is Lucien’s mate but there is also the thing that was mentioned about just because they are mates doesn’t mean they work well together.  Personally, I thought Lucien and Elain are good for each other; they were both oblivious to Feyre’s suffering for much longer than they should have been and yes, I am still bitter about that.  Not to mention the fact that they both act all sweet and true to themselves when all they really want is approval from the perpetually pissed off people that they care about.  That being said, it is suggested that there may be other players on the field.  I like Lucien more having finished Wings and Ruin and I do not want him to be unhappy, but there was the thing brewing between Elain and Azriel (we’ll get on to him later) that I really want to just ignore...  

And, what of her human ex-fiancé?  It was said that he despised all Fae kind but that seemed to have changed a little, though I still don’t think he would be willing to marry one.  Despite this, it was clear that Elain was still a tad hung up over him...  What I want to know is; does she ever get over him?  Does the hinted acceptance on Elain’s part towards Lucien at the end actually lead to a proper relationship between the pair?


Still on the topic of Lucien, does he ever find out about his biological father?  I probably wouldn’t be so important if Helion wasn’t the High Lord of the Day Court and without a heir aside from Lucien.  That little twist – which I seriously wasn’t expecting – made reason out of all the jumbled bits and pieces that I had gathered about Lucien and I absolutely loved it!  Only, now I really just want to know if he ever finds out that the reason he developed High Lord powers is because he is actually the son of the incredibly intelligent, sexually deviant and amazingly sassy High Lord of the Day Court whose one goal in life is to have a foursome with Mor, Azriel and Cassian (who can blame the guy).  What happens if Helion dies and he is the sole heir and the power doesn’t click in to place for any but him?  Will people fight him for it?  What HAPPENS?




And finally, what I believe to be the most pressing matter, Mor.  I do like the fact that she is homosexual but, at the same time, I can’t help but feel like we were shoved a bit under the bus in that one.  We, as readers, were constantly being pushed to see the relationship between Mor and Azriel as the ultimate end goal.  I think it would be fair to say that we all were expecting something else.  I had envisaged a range of fantasies, from some sort of curse put on her by her parents saying that anyone she loved would die in a Will Herondale-esque moment to a heartbreaking struggle to get over someone who never returned her affections but she just preferred girls.  As a reader, the idea that there is never a chance for Mor and Azriel was a bit heartbreaking.  I felt like we had been led on as much as Azriel had, and he had 500 years of being led on.  I am not against her being into girls but please, don’t break our hearts like that!  And, from that, does she ever tell anyone other than Feyre.  I mean, 500 years in the closet and she hasn’t told her best friends who she knows will support her in absolutely ANYTHING.  

I just feel that there is a smoother way to insert such a character.  I had no idea that it would turn out like that and I probably would have preferred a hint of it from the start so that I could look back and say that I understand how that happened so suddenly.  As I was reading, I just thought of it as a bit of a trick way to surprise the readers, like it was shoved in to keep us interested, not to add depth to her character.


Now, I loved this book and I would, without a doubt, still recommend it to absolutely anyone but I can’t help but feel as though I have been cheated out of the wrapped up ending that had been, if not promised, jangled tauntingly in our faces.



Feel free to comment if you agree or disagree, I would love to hear your thoughts on how the story of Feyre and the dreamers was put to an end.

Popular posts from this blog

A COURT OF WINGS AND RUIN (A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES #3)– SARAH J. MAAS

THE LONG WALK- STEPHEN KING

THE CATCHER IN THE RYE - J.D. SALLINGER

THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT (UNDER THE NEVER SKY #2) – VERONICA ROSSI

TRAITOR TO THE THRONE (REBEL OF THE SANDS #2) – ALWYN HAMILTON

INTO THE STILL BLUE (UNDER THE NEVER SKY #3) – VERONICA ROSSI

WHITE HOT KISS (THE DARK ELEMENTS #1) - JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT

NETHERFIELD PREP – ELIZABETH STEVENS

A COURT OF MIST AND FURY (A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES #2) – SARAH J. MAAS