A COURT OF WINGS AND RUIN (A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES #3)– SARAH J. MAAS

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit. As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 
In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.

Spoiler Warning!  Could very possibly contain spoilers.  Keep an eye out and if you notice anything you believe I should remove just let me know :)

Oh My GOD!  This review is going to probably be majorly disjointed because I seriously can’t put down how I feel right now.  To fully summarise my experience with this series:



Feyre is freaking awesome, Rhys is life, Amren is still our loveable firedrake, Azriel and Cassian are, well, Azriel and Cassian and Mor is vulnerable in a way we’ve never seen her before.  I am in love with this series and I am so sad that this is the end of Feyre’s story (though it really isn't the end).

So Wings and Ruin picks up where Mist and Fury left off, Feyre back at the Spring Court, Nesta and Elain now High Fae, having been dunked in the Cauldron, and war looming on the horizon.  Stuck in the life that she ran away from, Feyre has to play the innocent and willing bride all while getting information back to the Night Court and her High Lord who, impatiently, awaits her return.  After tearing Tamlin’s court apart from the inside, Feyre returns to the Night Court, where she and Rhys face the impossible task of uniting the High Lords, and the mortals.  As war rears it's head, their opportunities dwindle to nothing and the dreamers face what could be their last days.

This book had me questioning everything I thought I’d figured out in Mist and Fury.  At the start I was stuck in this maybe I hate you, maybe I don’t situation with Lucien and Elain and I wanted to literally growl at the other High Lords for judging Rhys.  I also downright loathed Nesta for all she’d put Feyre through and her complete lack of gratitude towards both her sister and the entire Court of Dreamers for, I don’t know, trying to save her life and putting themselves at great risk, or even sheltering her ungrateful ass until Feyre was able to return to them.  And then there is the way she treats Cassian- no one hurts my Illyrian babies and gets away with it!  I found myself torn on what to think the whole time I was reading it, this book seriously messed with my state of mind.

To sum up my feelings on all the characters in this series:
Our High Lady and Lord, Feyre and Rhys, are amazing.  These two are honestly the supreme power couple, and I love them beyond reason.  Feyre is the greatest heroine to ever come out of the young adult world.  Her determination and strength just makes me so proud!  And Rhysand is so sweet and supportive of Feyre and is a giving, selfless, loyal individual and just the cutest little bat of darkness out there. 
Rhys stepped off the stairs and took my hand. Night Triumphant - and the Stars Eternal. If he was the sweet, terrifying darkness, I was the glittering light that only his shadows could make clear.
Cassian and Azriel.  I can’t even describe how I feel about these two.  Their generosity and bravery.  These Illyrian babies deserve all the happiness in the world and I wish I could have them as friends.  
I was a bit upset about how little Mor action we got in the book.  The entire time she seemed to be a little in the background but she was still a great character and every moment that she was in was just amazing and put a grin on my face.  
And Amren!  She is incredible in this book.  We finally got to find out what Amren was and it is the most outstanding thing I have ever read.  Amren makes this book 20× better!!!
For it has been a gift. This time-with you. With all of you. It has been a gift.
The older Archeron sisters really turn up the heat in this book as well.  I mean, Nesta should hands-down win an award for the greatest character development in the history of fiction and Elain... well Elain freaked me out with her withdrawn presence and I was seriously concerned that she was never going to recover but she came through and becomes just as awesome as her sisters in the end.  

And when Sarah J. Maas hits me with moments like this, I don't think I'll ever recover:

I will find you again in the next world-the next life. And we will have that time. I promise.
Is she trying to destroy my heart?

As for Tamlin, I am still so conflicted over him.  I can’t tell you what happens but I kind of forgive him, even if I don’t necessarily want to, if you know what I mean...

It is a remarkable world that Sarah J. Maas has created, so rich and vibrant.  Everything about these books just drew me in- the beautiful characters, the enchanting setting and the witty dialogue.  The plot is startling, full of twists and turns, and looking at this story through Feyre’s eyes is magical- I feel like I am right there beside her, taking it all in.  

I am still struggling with the idea that this is the end of it.  There will be no more snarky wit from the Archeron sisters or purring from Rhys.  No more of the Court of Dreams getting drunk, their laughter whispering through the thriving streets of Velaris.  Honestly, I am still in denial and want to know more.  I want to know that everyone got their perfect, happy ending.  I want to know that Feyre and Rhys got there eternity together, that Nesta and Cassian stopped ignoring the sexual tension and just got on with it already, and I want liberation and all the joys in the world for Mor, Amren, Azriel, Lucian, Elain and everyone else who dared to dream.  

It is going to be hard not having this series to cry and laugh over- I am actually going to have to study...  It made my heart race and then stop completely.  I felt everything.  I may have liked Mist and Fury the most, but this is still one of the best books I’ve ever read and I fear I will never be able to enjoy other books as much as I used to because of this series.
I would have waited five hundred more years for you. A thousand years. And if this was all the time we were allowed to have ... The wait was worth it.
Intense and difficult to put down, this book was not what I was expecting; it was better.

Rating: 5/5


Get your copy of this breathtaking and captivating book from Amazon or Book Depository!


Comments

Popular Posts