A COURT OF MIST AND FURY (A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES #2) – SARAH J. MAAS

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court - but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.
Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the Night Court. But a greater evil looms - and she may be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her gifts, and decide how to shape her future - and the future of a world cleaved in two.

Spoiler Warning!  This review may contain spoilers, it is simply because I am so excited and have absolutely no control over my emotions when it comes to this series!!!

OH MY GOD!  IT DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!  This book is absolutely amazing!

I don’t think I can do this review without an excessive number of gifs so, bear with me.
If you’ve read my review of A Court of Thorns and Roses then you will know that I am absolutely in love with this series and Sarah J. Maas’ writing.  She just has a way of getting a reader to believe exactly what she wants them to believe.  It’s magical.  This book is a definite must-read!

Feyre is now a High Fae, brought back to life by the seven High Lords after having her neck snapped Under the Mountain.  But, despite her new immortal body, it is a mortal soul that lives within Feyre, making her feel more guilt and pain over her actions than any High Fae would have ever experienced.  Returned to Tamlin’s care, plagued by nightmares and waking terrors, Feyre is forced into a life of place settings and pretty dresses, sidelined from everything important and made to feel weak and in need of care regardless of her success in the trails and pretty much everything leading up to it.  When Feyre’s wedding day comes around, the dazzling, smart-mouthed High Lord of the Night Court, Rhysand, calls in the bargain and steals Feyre away from Tamlin for a single week- the beginning of many visits into Rhys’ beautiful territory.  But, as she continues to spend time at the Night Court, Feyre begins to understand that, maybe she isn’t as weak as everyone makes her believe, maybe she can do more that get married and pop out heirs, maybe, just maybe, she can fight for her people.  She begins to understand no one is her master.
I was not a pet, not a doll, not an animal.  I was a survivor, and I was strong.  I would not be weak or helpless again.  I would not, could not be broken. Tamed.
Feyre, our hero, our badass Cursebreaker.  She is pretty much everything anyone could want in a heroine.  She is stubborn and sassy, compassionate, loyal, selfless and able to stand on her own.  She is such a real character and everyone who reads this trilogy will love her for it.  Feyre has a dark side which she doesn’t mind letting out and is motivated by so much more than her own desires.

And Rhys.
Death incarnate. Night triumphant.

Rhys is quite possibly the best YA male lead ever; supportive in all situations, never controlling or overprotective and, while he does show a hell of a lot of concern for Feyre constantly, he never so much as tried to stop her from doing what it was she wanted to do.  That lil bat is the greatest thing in existence and I regret to say that I will spend my life forever alone with expectations I now have from this book.  His loyalty, generosity and wit just get me every time.

And of course, you can’t talk about the characters of this trilogy without bring up Rhys’ wingmen and women - Mor, Cassian, Azriel and Amren.  Their relationship is absolutely amazing, I love how close they are and the extent of what they’d do for each other.  Mor is like the best friend everyone wishes they had, Amren is slightly scary but also a really loyal and reassuring presence, Azriel is really sweet and Cassian, well, every moment with Cassian made me smile.  They are the most lovable bunch of (really intelligent) idiots out there!
Because the two winged males from earlier where standing in the doorway.  Grinning.
And the ending! I don’t know if I will ever recover.  It was just a mixture of: 

and


This book rips your heart out of your chest and shreds it apart before scattering the remaining chunks in a fire pit and releasing the ashes into the wind.  If you ever feel like an amazing read that you can just fall in love with and are not going to forget anytime soon, the A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy is for you!

Warning: I’ve got to mention that there are a number of sex scenes in this book and Sarah doesn’t leave anything out.  Personally, I am not complaining but if it isn’t your thing then maybe you shouldn’t read the book (or skip chapter 55...).  There is also a bit of swearing and sexual language so, once again, if it isn’t your thing, just have a think about if you would really appreciate reading this book, if the language would reduce your enjoyment.


I was not prey any longer, I decided as I eased up to that door.And I was not a mouse.I was a wolf.

Rating: 10/5


I am completely serious, buy this book!  You can find it on Amazon or Book Depository. Hint: the hardback is absolutely stunning!!!


Comments

Popular Posts